Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Director of Finance
Eagan, MN 55121 United States
Scientific Societies, has an immediate opening for a Director of Finance who will set financial direction while also being an active participant in, and driver of, the overall strategy for seven scientific/technical professional associations and five association foundations with a collective budget of approximately $12 million. Reporting to and partnering with the Executive Vice President, s/he will lead all financial administration, business planning, and budgeting for the Scientific Societies. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Finance will work closely with motivated and engaged volunteer finance committees, the boards of directors, and executive staff team, and will lead the finance staff. Specific responsibilities include:
• Partner with the Executive Vice President and executive staff team on operational and strategic financial issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the Executive Vice President based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
• Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the executive staff team.
• Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with strategic plans.
• Engage the executive staff team to align financial management with short- and long-term financial planning and projections.
• Engage the finance committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery.
Financial and Operational Management
• Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally.
• Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds.
• Oversee the preparation, approval and timely distribution of all financial reporting materials and metrics for the boards of directors; prepare and communicate monthly annual financial statements.
• Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting.
• Coordinate all audit activities.
• Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations, providing the most competitive packages for employees.
• Review all formal finance procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward.
• Develop and manage direct staff.
• Engage other members of the executive staff team to facilitate cross-department collaboration that ensures that all financial solutions positively support the evolving strategy, operational delivery, and data collection needs.
Education, training, experience:
The Director of Finance will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 10-15 years of broad finance experience, ideally including audit, gathering and evaluating financial information, and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a national nonprofit.
The Director of Finance will have the following experience and attributes:
• A minimum of a BS and CPA/CMA; an MBA would be a plus.
• Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the executive staff team. If coming from the for-profit world, nonprofit board experience preferred.
• Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
• Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial policies and procedures.
• Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
• A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player.
• A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
• An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter documenting qualifications, along with salary requirements by March 20, 2014 to www.minnesotadiversity.com/apply.asp?jid=6339485. EEO/AA employer.
Terms & Conditions